Mike, I was wrong!
Mike asked me what was in the Ark of the Covenant. I told him:
- The Ten Commandments, Exodus 25:16.
- A bowl of manna, Exodus 16:33.
- Aaron’s rod that budded, Numbers 17:10.
- Golden mice, 1 Samuel 6:8.
The manna and Aaron’s rod were before the Lord, not in the Ark of the Covenant. The golden mice were in a box and put in the cart with the Ark of the Covenant when the Philistines returned it.
1 Kings 8:9, “There was nothing in the ark except for the two tablets of stone that Moses put there at Horeb when the Lord made a covenant with the children of Israel after they had come out of Egypt.” Modern English Version
Food, wood, and gold will not last but the Ten Commandments remain. God’s Word endures forever, (see Isaiah 40:8; 2 Peter 1:25).
Psalms 119:11, “I have hidden your word in my heart . . .”Modern English Version The Hebrew term used here for “word” is ‘imrah, which means “promise” (New International Version Study Bible Notes). The Ten Commandments, (see Exodus 20:2-17), are ten promises.
The Frugalfish version of the Ten Commandments:
- You shall have no other gods before me because I am all-powerful. I proved it when I brought you out of slavery in Egypt.
- Do not make an image to worship because I am a jealous God who shows lovingkindness to thousands of them who love me.
- Do not use my name as a curse. My name is to bring blessing.
- Rest on the Sabbath day. I created everything in six days and rested on the seventh as an example for you.
- Honor your father and mother and you will live a long life.
- Do not murder and no one will murder you.
- Do not commit adultery and your spouse will remain faithful.
- Do not steal and others will not steal from you.
- Do not lie and others will speak the truth about you.
- Do not wish for your neighbor’s possessions and they will not desire yours.
I can hear the protests already! How can I write this? It will never work.
Matthew 7:12, “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.” New Living Translation
I may say, “I have never murdered,” but have I been angry with my brother (see Matthew 5:21, 22)? I may say, “I have never committed adultery,” but have I looked on another’s body with lust (see Matthew 27, 28)?
Romans 3:23, “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” Modern English Version
Romans 6:23, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Modern English Version
Romans 10:9, “That if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” Modern English Version
1 John 1:9, 10, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.” Modern English Version
I confessed my sin (error) and I know God has forgiven me. I believe Mike will, too!
©2009-2017 frugalfish.org. All rights reserved.
Twitter – @frugalfishorg
Facebook – Frugal Fish