I was reading in Nehemiah when one word made me stop – Hazor. (See Nehemiah 11:33.) I’ve been to the ruins of that city, now called Tel Hazor. It was once a major trade center of 200 acres for merchant caravans traveling to and from Babylon.
Hazor was the only city the children of Israel burned to the ground when they conquered Canaan. You could see the burn line in the foundation of the ruined buildings. They built on top of the burned foundation. The ruins consisted of a rock foundation, a layer of wood, brick, and sand bricks, and then were covered in plaster.
Deborah and Barak were the ones who conquered Hazor. It was a fortified city of King Solomon. Its water supply system is from the period of King Ahab.
“In Ezra, the people focused on rebuilding the temple. In Nehemiah, they begin rebuilding the walls of the city. It tells us that once we take care of the heart issues inside, we can begin to address the character issues on the outside.”The Founder’s Bible
The Origin of the Dream of Freedom
Introduction to Nehemiah
Character Building Verses I Read This Week
- “…words of peace and truth.” Esther 9:30 NASB (There is no peace without truth.)
- “…take heed then to your spirit, and let no one deal treacherously against the wife of your youth. 16) For I hate divorce…” Malachi 2:15-16 NASB (How I treat my spouse affects my spirit.)
- “According to the good hand of our God upon us, they brought us a man of insight…” Ezra 8:18 NASB (God doesn’t give me a challenge without sending counsel.)
- “…So they put their hands to the good work.” Nehemiah 2:18 NASB (Nothing is accomplished without work.)
- “I applied myself to the work…” Nehemiah 5:16 NASB (It takes more than showing up. It takes effort.)
- “For all of them were trying to frighten us, thinking, ‘They will become discouraged with the work and it will not be done.’ But now, O God, strengthen my hands.” Nehemiah 6:9 NASB (God strengthens me when I am frightened or discouraged.)
- “…he was a faithful man and feared God more than many.” Nehemiah 7:2 NASB (I need to be faithful and reverent to God.)
- “We will also bring the first of our dough…” Nehemiah 10:37 NASB (Is there anything I am holding back?)
©2009-2022 thisyearsbiblereadingguide.com. All Rights Reserved.