We have all read, or heard, about proposed budget cuts in Social Security or the military. What if the cuts were required at the top first?
There are 60,945 people currently receiving Social Security benefits. That is .00019% of the people living in America. Source: ww.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quickfacts/stat_snapshot/
When they talk about cutting Social Security, they are talking about hurting the .00019% who worked and paid into social Security. Without them, there never would have been a social Security fund to begin with!
There is less than 1% serving in the military. Source: http://askville.amazon.com/percentage-Americans-serve-military/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=61689610
When they talk about cutting the military, they are talking about hurting the 1% who are willing to DIE for the other 99%. Do we really think we will be free and safe with a half of a percent of our population trained to protect us?
In the Bible the first person doing the work of rebuilding the wall was the high priest.
Nehemiah 3:1, “Then Eliashib the high priest rose up with his brethren the priests and built the Sheep Gate. They consecrated it…”
Eliashib’s job was to offer sacrifices, praise and prayers to God. He was not a laborer or carpenter. It would make sense to have him consecrate it; but he and the other priests built it!
If there are budget cuts, it should start with the president’s salary, followed by the congressmen, representatives and judges.
They wouldn’t even have to cut their present salaries, just their retirement salary. These salaries, with regular increases that they vote in, are for LIFE.
As of October 2006; there were 413 retired congressmen still receiving pay. Source: http://dusanotes.hubpages.com/hub/How-Much-Do-Congressmen-Make
It is the only job that you can quit and still receive pay! Retired presidents are treated the same.
If we ran our homes that way our children would be taken from us. (Come on kids. There’s work to be done. Go do it, while we sit on the couch and watch TV.) It would never work.
What verse impressed you?
Number of people receiving Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, or both, January 2012
(in thousands) Type of beneficiary Total Social Security only SSI only Both Social Security
and SSI All beneficiaries 60,945 52,788 5,387 2,770 Aged 65 or older 39,386 37,321 901 1,163 Disabled, under age 65 a 13,794 7,702 4,486 1,607 Other b 7,765 7,765 . . . . .
Derek(SA) said: “With over 1.3 million men and women on active duty, and 684,000 civilian personnel, we are the nation’s largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.”
That would put it at less than 1% of the population, which is what they like to quote to us at commander’s calls as well.
The Congressional Research Service lists the following:
· 413 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service as of Oct. 1, 2006.